The annual Fraser Valley Walk for ALS normally takes place every year at Mill Lake Park in Abbotsford. This year, the event is taking a virtual approach. (Abbotsford News file photo)

Fraser Valley Walk for ALS takes virtual approach for 2020

Event normally held every year at Mill Lake Park in Abbotsford

The Fraser Valley Walk to End ALS, which occurs in Abbotsford every year, is taking a virtual approach for 2020.

The annual fundraiser will be held on Saturday, June 20 – the day before Global ALS Awareness Day. The Fraser Valley Walk normally includes participants from Abbotsford, Mission, Chilliwack, Hope and Agassiz.

This year, participants are asked to collect online donations and select a time that works for them on June 20 and take a walk in their neighbourhood. They are invited to take a photo or video of their walk and post it to their fundraising page or share it on social media.

A total of 40 per cent of the proceeds go to ALS research and the other 60 per cent goes to community-based support for people and families living with the disease.

This year, funds raised for ALS research will be matched dollar for dollar – up to $1 million – by Brain Canada.

The Canada Brain Research Fund is a partnership between the Government of Canada (through Health Canada) and Brain Canada, designed to encourage Canadians to increase their support of brain research, and maximize the impact and efficiency of those investments.

ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) s a disease that gradually paralyzes people because the brain is no longer able to communicate with the muscles of the body. Over time, as the muscles of the body break down, someone living with ALS will lose the ability to walk, talk, eat, swallow, and eventually breathe.

To register for the walk or to make a donation, visit walktoendals.ca/british-columbia.

RELATED: B.C. woman helps father with ALS spend one last Valentine’s Day with his wife

RELATED: Walk to End ALS raises $48,000 in Abbotsford

Charity and Donations

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Comments are closed

Just Posted

Missing Maple Ridge man’s car found in Harrison

Michael Denham has been missing since June 27

UFV grads of 2020 honoured in innovative ways

No convocation ceremony due to pandemic, but grads receive ‘celebration box’

Peak on the lower Fraser River expected to arrive Monday

Peak predicted for July 6, with flows decreasing from there: River Forecast Centre

Abbotsford Flea Market reopening on Sunday

Market has been closed since March 8 due to the COVID-19 pandemic

UPDATE: Missing Chilliwack 35-year-old woman located

The RCMP were asking for the public’s help to find woman not seen in months

Police issue warning after baby comes across suspected drugs in Kamloops park

The 11-month-old girl’s mother posted photos on social media showing a small plastic bag containing a purple substance

Collision results in train derailment just east of Golden

The derailment occurred Sunday night, according to a statement from CP

Lower Mainland woman says llama farming neighbour shot her 11-month-old pup

Young dog was on owner’s Maple Ridge property when it was killed on June 21

B.C. records 31 new cases, six deaths over three days due to COVID-19

There are 166 active cases in B.C., 16 people in hospital

B.C. highway widening job reduced, costs still up $61 million

Union-only project scales back work to widen Trans-Canada

Greater Victoria nanny pleads guilty to child porn, sexual interference charges

Johnathon Lee Robichaud pleaded guilty to slew of sex crimes

Most Read