Theatre performances and art classes will soon be returning to the Chilliwack Cultural Centre.
As part of the province’s Phase 3 of the BC Restart Plan, the HUB International Theatre will be open again for select performances and some art classes for adults will also resume, all under strictly enhanced protocols.
The evening classes will be held in the Rotary Hall Studio Theatre with physical distancing measures in place to ensure the safety of everyone. The centre’s front doors will open 10 minutes before the scheduled start time of the class. Participants will be required to wear face coverings at all times (a non-medical cloth mask will be lent to people who do not have their own). Each class will have a 15 student per class maximum.
Here are the classes currently being offered:
• Creating with Cross Stitch: Aug. 5 to 19, Wednesdays (three sessions) 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
• World of Colour: Aug. 6 to 27, Thursdays (four sessions) 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
• World of Colour: Aug. 19, Wednesday (workshop) 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 pm.
• Watercolour Beginnings: Sept. 2 to 23, Wednesdays (four sessions) 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
• Introduction to Acrylics: Sept. 10 to Oct. 1, Thursdays (four sessions) 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
• Beginning Photography: Sept. 8 to 29, Tuesdays (four sessions) 6:15 p.m. to 8:15 p.m.
• Create a Junk Journal: Sept. 14, Monday (workshop) 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m
• Painting with Pat: Sept. 21, Monday (workshop) 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
More classes will be added in the future when possible.
Also open now is the Clay Open Studio which is not currently available on a drop-in basis. Participants will be limited to six at a time (including the volunteer), and they will have to register in advance with the Centre Box Office. Clay Open Studio hours are 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Below are the new rules allowing access to the building and following the public health orders:
• Participants will be required to wear face coverings at all times (a non-medical cloth mask will be lent to people who do not have their own)
• All participants will be required to observe strict physical distancing protocols ensuring that people stay a minimum of two meters (six feet) apart. Areas have been marked off in Rotary Hall to guide you
• Tools may not be shared by participants
• Participants will be limited to 15 at a time (plus the instructor and a staff member)
At the beginning of July, the O’Connor Group Art Gallery re-opened for the first time since it closed at the start of the pandemic.
The Centre Box Office and the building is now open with reduced hours. The new hours are Monday to Friday, 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Call 604-391-SHOW(7469) if you have any questions or to register for any of the classes.
For more info on the Cultural Centre’s COVID-19 protocols, its re-opening plan, class info and more, go to chilliwackculturalcentre.ca.