Bear season has arrived and that means bears are out and about looking to fatten up from a long winter of hibernation.
The District of Hope has received numerous reports of bear/human encounters in recent weeks.
Attracting bears are bird feeders, garbage placed out in plastic bags for disposal and fruit trees, which will also be an attraction soon.
Deterring bears from entering your property begins with you and everyone else within the community. People are responsible for the increase in bear/human conflict.
The District of Hope reminds residents to:
• Dispose of garbage in approved garbage cans and,
• Don’t put your garbage out in plastic bags.
• Only put out your garbage for pickup on the morning of pickup, not the night before.
• Keep your garbage cans in a secure location (garage) with a sealed lid to prevent odors from escaping.
• Reassess the need to have bird feeders on your property?
All residents and businesses are encouraged to become “bear aware” and do your part by working together and educating children, grandchildren and any new residents to our community.
For information, visit: