Gordon Younie counts down to Saturday

Drive-In closing Nov. 5 as its owners retire

The full story as published in the Oct. 27 edition of The Hope Standard.

The iconic, 54-year-old, Hope Drive-In and Restaurant will shut down this Saturday.

This comes as its owners Gordon Younie, his wife Caroline, and his sister Jean Perry retires.

“I’ve been running around doing business of various kinds on this property for the better part of 40 years now,” said Younie. “And keeping this old place open through the ups and downs of many, many disruptions.”

The highlight of his career, Younie noted is reaching $1 million in sales and opening up the Dairy Queen on Water Street “that set the stage for McDonald’s and everything else,” he said.

His biggest challenge during his career was he had to step away from the restaurant for a few years.

“It sort of fell into disrepair for a few years, walked away, and we had to come back and build it back up,” said Younie, referring to the challenging times around 1995, where issues within his family caused the disruption. “You know how families go, so —”

Over the decades which Younie has run the restaurant, he has seen an evolution.

“In the ‘60s, before the days of the drive-thru and all the commercial franchises, our takeout windows were busy and we actually had a separate kitchen. We had separate dining rooms,” said Younie. “As time went on, it evolved and if you don’t accept change, you’re not going to adapt very well to it, and this place has evolved.”

Among the many avenues of business development the Younies took in that restaurant was running a gift shop. They sold trinkets, postcards and books to customers from around the world.

Then came technological change that the Younies had to embrace.

“I never thought that me in the ’80s or the ’90s would be running a flat screen and a Micros Restaurant E-7 computer,” said Younie, referring to his computerized point-of-sale systems.

The clientele also changed, and that has caused an uptick of orders for soup. Younie said he sells 20,000 bowls of soup annually.

But his menu has always centred around home-style cooking and ensuring every meal feels like home.

“We’ve actually brought people to tears after they’ve left doing business with us — miners, loggers. Because they get treated to home-styled cooking,” said Younie.

The Younie family has had a long history of running restaurants. After the Second World War, Younie’s grandparents opened up El Comando Cantina in Vedder Crossing.

Then in 1962, Younie’s parents bought the Drive-In.

Nov. 5, however, will mark the end of the Drive-In, unless a new management takes it over.

“Change always comes,” said Younie. “Now it’s time for us to move on and we’re going to change, I guess.”

Younie declared that the future for the restaurant is unknown beyond Nov. 5.

Just Posted

Waterworks situation on table at Hope District meeting

Council to make decision on 753 Waterworks transfer tonight

Rail group to bring plan to Abbotsford council

Group is calling for plans to run trains on rail line between Chilliwack and Surrey

Construction project in Hope means bus diversion starting today

Bus riders will have to flag down driver for Route 22

Question Answers with Fraser-Cascade 2019 byelection candidates

Seven candidates have stepped forward for this year’s sudden byelection—learn about them here

Sunshine Valley teens burning with promise

Possibly the youngest in B.C., Sunshine Valley trains 15- and 16-year-old firefighters

VIDEO: Young couple found dead in northern B.C. had been shot, police say

Chynna Noelle Deese of the U.S. and Lucas Robertson Fowler of Australia were found along Highway 97

Hazmat incident closes down Lower Mainland street

One person is believed to be dead, police said

VIDEO: Man found dead near B.C. teens’ truck could be linked to a double homicide

RCMP said they are looking for Kam McLeod, 19, and Bryer Schmegelsky, 18, of Port Alberni

Latest plan is to fly trapped fish by helicopter over Big Bar slide

Multi-pronged plan set in motion to freesalmon blocked by landslide in the Fraser River

Family of missing B.C. senior with dementia frustrated with situation, heartened by community support

Nine days since Grace was last seen the question remains: ‘How can an 86-year-old just disappear?’

Unsealed record suggests U.S. man convicted of murdering Vancouver Island couple left DNA on zip tie in 1987

William Talbott is set to be sentenced Wednesday in the murders of Jay Cook and Tanya Van Cuylenborg

Okanagan Air Cadet challenges gender-exclusive haircut policy

Haircut regulation inspires challenge around gender identity

Pride flags stolen from Lower Mainland church

Went missing sometime Friday night, says Maple Ridge reverend

25 new wheelchair-accessible cabins open at Cultus Lake Provincial Park

Maple Bay Campground is now home to 25 new wheelchair friendly cabins, a first for BC Parks

Most Read