A fundraiser has been set up for a family of four with a newborn whose house caught fire in Chilliwack this week.
The family, who just welcomed a new baby into their lives two days earlier, awoke to the smell of smoke in their house on Amadis Crescent in Chilliwack around 10:30 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 26.
There was a fire in their garage and their belongings were either lost due to the blaze or were damaged from the smoke.
A fundraiser was set up the next day to help the family who has no insurance.
“Last night their house caught fire due to an electrical issue behind the fridge in the garage,” Carol Yarrow wrote on the GoFundMe page she created on Aug. 27 called ‘Cori and Jesse’s House Fire.’
The fundraising goal is set at $10,000 and within one day, more than $5,000 had been raised.
“All are safe but they have nothing now… with only dad working because of mom expecting, they need to start over.
“They didn’t even have time to grab a bottle for the newborn and had to call all over to get one.”
All of the items they received from a recent baby shower have been damaged due to smoke from the fire.
“They will need rent money, and hopefully can find a new place,” Yarrow wrote.
The family has another little girl who now also has nothing, she added.
“Please donate to help this young family get back on their feet.”
To donate to the family, go to gofundme.com/f/cori-and-jesse-house-fire.
Do you have something to add to this story, or something else we should report on?
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.