Hudson was brought into the Kent Veterinary Clinic Thursday morning after his owner suspected he got into some pot while out at the lake. (Kent Veterinary Clinic/Facebook)

Kent vet reminds users: pot and pups don’t mix

Dog brought in after possibly ingesting marijuana during a trip to the lake

The Kent Veterinary Clinic is reminding people to put their pot away properly, both at home and in public, after a trip to the lake ended in a trip to the vet for one local dog.

According to a post on the Kent Veterinary Clinic Facebook page, Hudson and his owner had taken a trip to a nearby lake Wednesday night (Aug. 28). As dogs are wont to do, Hudson had sniffing around in the bushes and had possibly eaten something.

The next morning, Hudson was unable to walk or urinate properly, and was acting lethargic and nauseous. His owner brought him in to the vet, where he tested positive for THC — the main psychoactive compound in marijuana.

“We induced vomiting and gave him charcoal to absorb anything left in his stomach,” the post reads. “Luckily this poor guy felt a bit better by the time he left but still needs to rest for the next 24 hours.”

According to Lyndsey Herden, a veterinary office assistant at the clinic, they have been seeing more cases of dogs getting sick from marijuana than they did before legalization.

In the last few months, she said, there’s been between five and 10 cases of dogs coming in with symptoms of THC poisoning. So far they’ve seen only dogs, although cats can have adverse reactions to pot as well.

RELATED: PET CARE: Cannabis and your pet

“People can look for signs, if (the dog) looks like they’re acting drunk, they can’t walk properly. Sometimes it looks like their eyes won’t focus or will dart back and forth,” Herden explained. “If they’re just looking for signs that are abnormal, definitely bring it to a vet clinic.”

If anyone does suspect their dog has ingested some pot, the best thing to do is bring them to the vet so the dog can be made to throw up.

“That’s the quickest way to get it out of their system if it’s happened recently,” Herden said.

Of course, the best way to prevent pets from getting sick from pot is to keep it away from them in the first place.

“If they’re going to discard it, it just can’t be on the ground or in a garbage can or anywhere that a dog can access,” she said.

According to the clinic’s Facebook post, dogs are attracted to the smell and taste of marijuana: “if it is left on the ground, they will more than likely ingest it.”



grace.kennedy@ahobserver.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Local Liberal MP Jati Sidhu says he forgives Trudeau for brownface photos

Sidhu says Trudeau ‘didn’t know any better’ and that photos will prompt discussion

Blowback from the Trudeau in brownface debacle reaches Chilliwack

PM in questionable photos released in the middle of the federal election campaign had ripple effects

Local Liberal candidate says ad showing him with Abbotsford police officer was ‘not acceptable’

Jati Sidhu said advertisement only appeared for 30 minutes and was created by Montreal company

Prospera and Westminster credit unions approved for proposed merger

Abbotsford- and Surrey-based companies now take matter to membership vote

Pay raise hike closer to reality for Fraser Cascade trustees

Remuneration will more than double if change adopted

PHOTOS: Young protesters in B.C. and beyond demand climate change action

Many demonstaers were kids and teens who skipped school to take part

Walmart to quit selling e-cigarettes amid vaping backlash

U.S.’s largest retailer points to ‘growing’ complications in federal, state and local regulations

Former B.C. lifeguard gets house arrest for possession of child porn

Cees Vanderniet of Grand Forks will serve six months of house arrest, then two years’ probation

Student arrested at South Delta Secondary for alleged assault

The alleged assault occurred between two SDSS students on Wednesday, Sept. 18

Crown alleges resentment of ex-wife drove Oak Bay father to kill his daughters

Patrick Weir alleged in his closing arguments that Andrew Berry is responsible for the deaths of his daughters

‘I’d do it again,’ says B.C. man who swam naked, drunk in Toronto shark tank

David Weaver, of Nelson, was drunk when he went to Ripley’s Aquarium in Toronto on Oct. 12 2018

How to react to Trudeau’s racist photos? With humility, B.C. prof says

‘We are now treating racism as a crime that you cannot recover from’

Victoria man spots online photo of his totem pole 11 years after it was stolen

Mark Trueman restored the pole himself before it was stolen off of his property in Duncan

VIDEO: Fire destroys Williams Lake strip club targeted by past arson attempts

Diamonds and Dust Entertainment Lounge destroyed by fire, as well as New World Tea and Coffee House

Most Read