Brian McKinney of the Hope Visitor Centre led an unusually large Rambo First Blood tour around the town’s streets last Saturday as part of the celebration of the film’s 35th anniversary. McKinney was raised in Hope where the Hollywood blockbuster was filmed. (Greg Laychak photo)

Large crowd celebrates First Blood’s 35th

Organizer says he’s excited for a reboot of Rambo.

First Blood 35th anniversary event organizer Brian McKinney lost his voice over the weekend but still has goosebumps as he looks to the future.

“I’m glad it’s over,” said McKinney on Tuesday. “We’re heading to Harrison Hot Springs this afternoon and I’ve already been told by my wife that if I mention the word or the name Rambo once in the next two days, she’s going to basically drown me in the Harrison hot spring.”

Last weekend’s event came together after months of effort on McKinney’s part as well as community members such as staff at the Hope Visitor Centre, Hope Secondary School and local resident Art Green. Key to the event’s success was McKinney’s Visitor Centre colleague Tracy Paynter. Paynter looked after merchandise, retail, contests and business relations.

“It was probably actually about three or four years ago that Brian first reminded us that the 35th is coming up and there will be an event for it,” said Visitor Centre manager Helen Kennedy. “And then in the last year and a half or so, they’ve been going out to contact businesses and individuals who were involved in the 30th (anniversary).”

The event brought a certain busyness to the town, attracting international visitors from Japan, Germany, England, Italy, the United States and the Netherlands.

“People love Rambo,” said Kennedy, when asked about Rambo’s international popularity. “It’s no surprise to us that we had that many people there.”

Kennedy explained that the reasons vary depending on country of origin. Kennedy said that it was the highest grossing film in China and that she has met Eastern Europeans who watched it on the black market just before the Berlin Wall came down. They identified with Rambo’s rebellious, anti-authority persona.

Hope Secondary School’s Leadership class helped kick off Saturday with activities including painting camouflage on participant’s faces, tying people up with Rambo knots and wrapping people in bandanas, setting the tone and atmosphere from 9 a.m. at the Visitor Centre. At the same time, the Hope and District Arts Council hosted a exhibition of Rambo-inspired art featuring over 12 local artists displaying photos, paintings, artifacts and pottery.

McKinney then led the walking tour, where he took participants to the various filming locations from downtown to the Othello Tunnels. The tour also made a stop at the Canyon Golden Age Society, which served as the sheriff’s station in the movie. Inside, visitors enjoyed coffee, explored the building and looked at photos.

The event lasted from noon to about 4 p.m with an estimated participation of 90 to 100 people at its peak. Comparatively, only about 30-40 people participated in the 30th anniversary’s tour.

“I lost my voice,” said McKinney. “Sunday night, I was done. Could you imagine Brian McKinney losing his voice?”

In the evening, they screened the movie at the Hope Cinema, but before that came a surprise — First Blood makeup artist Michael Westmore and Sylvester Stallone came on screen with a message thanking fans for their loyalty to the series.

The process to get that video did not come very easily. McKinney first contacted Alf Humphreys, who played Lester in First Blood, through his agency. They talked about the other people involved in the film and Humphreys said he still kept in touch with Westmore.

“All of a sudden, one day, I received a phone call from Beverley Hills, Calif., and it’s Michael Westmore on the phone,” said McKinney.

They came up with a plan to host a book signing of Westmore’s book, Makeup Man. Westmore said he could not come up, but Humphreys could attend the event and sign the books on his behalf. As the event got closer, Humphreys fell sick and could not attend the event.

McKinney continued speaking to Westmore and suggested that Westmore could do a video message to the fans, and he agreed. McKinney asked whether he could ask whether other actors would be willing to participate and Westmore said he would make a few calls.

Then, McKinney received a call from Sylvester Stallone’s press secretary. McKinney shared what Westmore was going to do and asked whether Stallone could do something. Stallone’s press secretary asked what he would like him to say.

“I said, ‘Well, I think after 35 years, I think the hardcore fans — what they’re waiting for is just to be acknowledged for standing by this franchise and standing by this character for 35 years,’ ” said McKinney. The press secretary said OK.

They received Stallone’s message about a month ago and had to keep it secret. Under the terms of their agreement with Stallone’s team, the clip cannot be shared.

McKinney said that their preliminary report showed that motels, restaurants and retail outlets selling Rambo merchandise saw an uptick in patronage as a result of the event. McKinney added that some retail stores “were stressed out in a good way.”

“They were extremely busy, so that’s exactly what we set out for and I think mission accomplished,” said McKinney.

McKinney said he has received online inquiries for a 40th anniversary. Before that happens, they will debrief and examine how they can improve.

In 2016, the Hollywood Reporter reported that there will be a reboot of the Rambo series. Asked if a remake of First Blood would affect the popularity of Hope’s events, McKinney said it would not.

“Every time the name First Blood is brought up or the name Rambo is brought up … whether it’s a reboot or a part five, whether there’s First Blood the Next Generation, Hope B.C.’s stock value just skyrockets,” said McKinney. “It gives me goosebumps. I love it when people talk about it because the public just defaults back to where it all began and that was Hope, British Columbia, Canada.

“I’m hoping for a reboot. That would be fabulous.”

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Highway alert
Planned closure of Highway 1 at Spuzzum Bridge Thursday

Bridge maintenance will be ongoing during the eight-hour closure this Thursday, Oct. 22

Owen Charpentier, 21, is charged with the Oct. 22, 2019 second-degree murder of Keith Baldwin in Chilliwack. (File)
Pre-trial dates set for Chilliwack man charged with Keith Baldwin’s murder

Owen Dale Charpentier accused in the fourth homicide of 2019 next in court June 2021

The 2020 Rotary Club of Chilliwack Book Sale is moving from Chilliwack Mall to Heritage Park to allow more room for physically-distanced shopping. (Jenna Hauck/ The Progress)
Rotary Book Sale moves from Chilliwack Mall to Heritage Park

The hugely-popular book sale is going ahead Oct. 25-31 with pandemic protocols in place

Massimo Rizzo (Penticton Vees, BCHL), middle, tries to out-maneuver two Team Canada East players during a preliminary game at the 2018 World Junior A Challenge. Team Canada West won the all-Canadian matchup 6-1.
Photo courtesy of Matthew Murnaghan/Hockey Canada Images
Chilliwack Chiefs acquire Massimo Rizzo from Coquitlam Express

Chiefs hockey boss Brian Maloney has high expectations this season, and this trade is a sign of that

There have been several reports to the Chilliwack RCMP recently regarding a phone scam where the caller impersonates a local police officer and asks for money, they said on Oct. 19. 2020. (Miryam Leon/ Unsplash)
Chilliwack RCMP warn phone scammers are impersonating officers

RCMP officers would never solicit money or Bitcoin from someone, they assure the public

FILE – Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry answers questions during a press conference to update on the province’s fall pandemic preparedness plan from the press theatre at Legislature in Victoria, Wednesday, Sept. 9, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chad Hipolito
B.C. sees record-breaking daily COVID infections with 499 new cases over weekend

Two people, both in the Lower Mainland, died due to the virus over the weekend

The RCMP helicopter. (File photo)
Suspect escapes after police pursuit through Surrey, Langley, Abbotsford

Police chase involved two stolen vehicles, including one taken in Mission

IIO Chief Civilian Director Ron MacDonald. (File photo: Tom Zytaruk)
Police watchdog concludes Mounties didn’t shoot Surrey teen at strip mall

IIO finds tragic death of teenager ‘not the result of any actions or inactions’ by the Surrey RCMP

A passer-by walks past a COVID-19 testing clinic in Montreal, Friday, Oct. 16, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ryan Remiorz
Canada ‘yet to see’ deaths due to recent COVID surge as cases hit 200,000

Much of the increase in case numbers can be attributed to Ontario and Quebec

Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good

Pay it Forward program supports local businesses in their community giving

Police confirm human remains were found in a recycling bin in Vancouver on Oct. 18, 2020. (Black Press Media file photo)
Human remains found in recycling bin floating near Vancouver beach

Police asking nearby residents to see if their recycling bin has gone missing

Emergency crews shut down White Rock’s Five Corners district on Feb. 19, 2020 after an altercation left an elderly man in critical condition. (File photo)
Trial dates set in White Rock manslaughter case

Proceedings against Ross Banner, 71, set for June 2021 in Surrey Provincial Court

The many faces of Daon Glasgow. (Photos: Surrey RCMP)
Glasgow found not guilty of trying to murder transit cop in Surrey

Transit Police Constable Josh Harms was shot Jan. 30, 2019 at Scott Road SkyTrain Station

Most Read