Metro Van bills FVRD for incinerator info request

Metro Vancouver won't waive fee to provide incinerator-related documents to Fraser Valley Regional District.

The Fraser Valley Regional District is welcome to detailed information on Metro Vancouver’s Waste-to-Energy incinerator plans, but at a cost.

FVRD wants access to every Metro Vancouver document related to the incinerator, going back a year and a half.

In exchange, Metro Vancouver demands nearly $5,000 in fees to fulfill the Freedom of Information (FOI) request.

“We want to see the technical documents, we want to see all the back-and-forth, and see what’s going on, and how far along the process are they that we’re unaware of,” said Paul Gipps, Chief Administrative Officer at FVRD. “We need to know if we’re just going through steps and actions, and the decisions are already partly made. If they’ve already chosen to go in a certain direction, with a certain type, or a certain location, or any of that. We need to know, when we put information out there, or when we talk to them, that they’re listening openly rather than just hearing what we have to say.”

FVRD doesn’t believe that it currently has all WTE-related information.

“We think there’s more going on. This way we’ll find out if there is. And if there isn’t, it’s good to have that information anyways,” said Gipps.

A consulting company hired to oversee the WTE procurement process, HDR Corp., decided not to renew its contract in December because of an email between the company and Metro Vancouver showing bias toward certain technologies.

This triggered FVRD’s request to view all of Metro Vancouver’s WTE documents and communications.

“Waste-to-Energy is the biggest thing affecting the Fraser Valley Regional District right now, and we’re taking it very serious, and we want Metro (Vancouver) to understand that they need to take our concerns very serious,” said Gipps.

FVRD originally submitted its FOI request on Feb. 21, 2013. On March 1, Metro Vancouver replied that to provide these documents, FVRD will need to pay $4,942. This covers the estimated 78 hours of work, and 10,750 photocopies. Metro Vancouver will not begin the process without an initial deposit representing half of the total amount.

FVRD responded on March 28 with a request to waive this fee on the grounds that the records relate to a matter of public interest, in line with Section 75(5) of the Freedom of Information and Privacy Protection Act.

Metro Vancouver refused to waive the fee.

“I do not understand how the records relate to a matter of public interest or how they directly relate to the environment, public health or safety,” replied Chris Plagnol, Metro Vancouver’s Information and Privacy Coordinator. “Further, Metro Vancouver does not believe disclosure of thousands of records can reasonably be expected to benefit the public.”

Metro Vancouver’s failure to see how this disclosure relates to public interest is “unsettling,” according to Stacey Barker, FVRD’s Manager of Environmental Services. She recommended last week that FVRD send a letter to the Information & Privacy Commissioner, requesting a review of Metro Vancouver’s refusal to provide a fee waiver.

Gipps agrees that the public interest element is self-evident.

“It’s clearly in the public interest. 450,000 residents in the Fraser Valley area are going to be directly impacted by this, and that’s very significant to us,” he said. “We represent a lot of people, and we’re all very concerned about our health and well-being out here in the Valley.”

FVRD does not have a seat on the expert panel that oversees WTE plans. If this panel recommends to build an incinerator on Fraser Valley land, then FVRD will take part in the environmental assessment working group, as mandated by the Ministry of Environment.

FVRD expects to use the information collected through the FOI to inform its decision-making at the working group, as well as guide its responses to Metro Vancouver’s WTE plans.

akonevski@theprogress.com
twitter.com/alinakonevski

Just Posted

A young couple walks through the Othello Tunnels just outside of Hope. (Jessica Peters/Black Press)
Hope’s Othello Tunnels fully open to the public

Geological testing proved the area safe enough to open for the first time in more than a year

The Abbotsford International Airshow is back for 2021 with the ‘SkyDrive’ concept.
Abbotsford International Airshow returns for 2021 with ‘SkyDrive’

New format features a drive-in movie type experience, show set for Aug. 6 to 8

.
Fraser Health monitors long-term care vaccination rates amid local COVID-19 outbreak

COVID-19 transmission has largely been on the decline in Agassiz-Harrison

Jacqueline Pearce and Jean-Pierre Antonio received the BC Historical Federation Best Article Award on Saturday for their story about translating haiku written in the Tashme internment camp.
Article chronicling haiku in Japanese internment camp near Hope wins award

Tashme Haiku Club’s work was preserved and recently translated, authors write

Raeya Evie Duncan was the 100th baby born at Chilliwack General Hospital for the month of May. She is seen here with her parents Alysha Williams and Andrew Duncan on June 12, 2021. (Jenna Hauck/ Chilliwack Progress)
Baby boom in Chilliwack as record number of infants born at CGH in May

‘COVID babies are coming out,’ says dad of 100th baby born at Chilliwack General Hospital last month

Maxwell Johnson is seen in Bella Bella, B.C., in an undated photo. The Indigenous man from British Columbia has filed complaints with the B.C. Human Rights Tribunal and the Canadian Human Rights Commission after he and his granddaughter were handcuffed when they tried to open a bank account. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO-Heiltsuk Nation, Damien Gillis, *MANDATORY CREDIT*
VIDEO: Chiefs join human rights case of Indigenous man handcuffed by police in B.C. bank

Maxwell Johnson said he wants change, not just words, from Vancouver police

People line up to get their COVID-19 vaccine at a vaccination centre, Thursday, June 10, 2021 in Montreal. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ryan Remiorz
Vaccines, low COVID case counts increase Father’s Day hope, but risk is still there

Expert says people will have to do their own risk calculus before popping in on Papa

B.C. Premier John Horgan listens as Finance Minister Selina Robinson presents the province’s latest budget, April 20, 2021. The budget projects $19 billion in deficits over three years. (Hansard TV)
B.C. government budget balloons, beyond COVID-19 response

Provincial payroll up 104,000 positions, $10 billion since 2017

Ocean debris is shown on Long Beach in Tofino, B.C. on April, 18, 2012. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
Shoreline cleanup finds COVID-related trash increased during height of the pandemic

Great Canadian Shoreline Cleanup reports litter from single-use food packaging nearly doubled

Doctor David Vallejo and his fiancee Doctor Mavelin Bonilla hold photos of themselves working, as they kiss at their home in Quito, Ecuador, Wednesday, June 9, 2021. Doctor Vallejo and Doctor Bonilla suspended their wedding in order to tend to COVID-19 patients and in the process Vallejo got sick himself with the disease, ending up in an ICU for several days. (AP Photo/Dolores Ochoa)
Love, sacrifice and surviving COVID-19: one couple’s story

COVID hits Ecuadorian doctors who delayed wedding to treat sick

Cover of the 32-page Surrey First Peoples Guide for Newcomers, created and compiled by Jeska Slater.
New ‘Surrey First Peoples Guide for Newcomers’ seeks to ‘uplift and amplify’ voices

32-page guide launched Tuesday by Surrey Local Immigration Partnership (LIP)

West Coast Duty Free president Gary Holowaychuk stands next to empty shelves inside his store on Tuesday (June 15). (Aaron Hinks photo)
Revenue down 97% at Surrey duty free as owner waits for U.S. border to reopen

Products approaching best before dates had to be donated, others destroyed

St. Joseph's Mission site is located about six kilometres from Williams Lake First Nation. (Photo submitted)
Williams Lake First Nation to search residential school site for unmarked graves

St. Joseph’s Mission Indian Residential School operated from 1886 to 1981

Tuesday’s Lotto Max draw went unclaimed. (Photo courtesy of BCLC)
Tuesday’s Lotto Max draw went unclaimed. (Photo courtesy of BCLC)
Lotto Max jackpot goes unclaimed again

42 of the 64 Maxmillion prizes of $1 million were won, the majority were sold in Ontario

Most Read