One person was treated for smoke inhalation at a house fire on Tuesday in Hope.
The Hope Fire Departments reports that they responded to numerous calls on Dec. 17, including one that involved a fire in a structure.
“Quick action and response limited the damage and contained the fire to the area of origin in a two storey duplex on 7th Ave,” they posted on their Facebook page. “One person was treated for smoke inhalation.”
The cause of that fire is unknown at this time. They are encouraging people to test their smoke alarms to be fire safe over the holidays.
“Working smoke alarms save lives,” they said.
The department has also been using their social media to remind residents of all the other safety precautions that should be taken at this time of year.
For example, make sure your Christmas tree is at least one metre away from any heat source, including fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat vents and even lights. And remember to turn off Christmas tree lights before leaving the house, or going to bed.
And for those who love candles, there are several things to consider.
Never use lit candles to decorate a tree, they say. December is also the peak month for home candle fires, and more than one third of home candle fires start in the bedroom.
They suggest not using candles in bedrooms at all, and keeping candles at least one foot away from anything that can burn.
Finally, they shared a video illustrating just how fast a burning Christmas tree can consume a home.
For more tips on a safe holiday, visit them on Facebook at Hope Fire Department.
Do you have something to add to this story, or something else we should report on? Email: