Time for another trip down memory lane in The Hope Standard’s archives.
January 1951 – 68 years ago
As the first year of 1950 rolled into the second, H.C. Cooke was again elected to head the Hope and District Red Cross Branch. Cooke gave a comprehensive report to members, and told them how the branch had been highly praised for their work in connection with ‘Operation Mercy,’ which had been performed the previous year.
However, alongside the New Year’s arrival was the arrival of the previous year’s weather records, which showed the Hope area saw 65.88 inches of rain in 1950, which was eight inches more than the 10-year average. And although the winter of 1949/50 saw more than 36 inches of snow on the ground, in January 1951, only three inches fell from Jan. 1 to 10.
January 1961 – 58 years ago
Mere days into the New Year, and Stipendiary Magistrate C.E. Barry swore in the newest members of the Hope Village Council in the Council Chambers on Jan. 3, 1961. Council members were as follows: Roy Corbett; Paul Scherle; Martin Kester; Henry Hockin; Jack Johnston; Stuart Stearn, and Frank Wilson.
On January 20, 1961, Hope’s Canadian Legion Memorial hall was officially opened in the presence of Major-General the Honourable George Randolph Pearkes, B.C.’s lieutenant-governor. Legion members from across the Fraser Valley and Interior were invited to the opening ceremony.
January 1971 – 48 years ago
As the years passed by and the ’70s arrived in Hope, so too did the fun with the Lions’ Club Centennial winter carnival, which provided the people of Hope with two days of top-notch entertainment, including a cross-country snowmobile race from Merritt to Hope along the Coquihalla.
“Interest is really building up in this event,” said Lions’ Club member, Ernie Murakami. “We have entries from all over the area, including Hope, Boston Bar, Merritt, Kamloops, Princeton, and Burnaby.”